The intersections between energy, environmental, and climate law are increasingly significant. Recognizing the importance of these areas in producing more sustainable environmental outcomes, The George Washington University Law School launched the Journal of Energy and Environmental Law (JEEL) in 2009. As its name implies, JEEL focuses on legal and policy issues at the nexus of energy and environmental law.
JEEL is published three times a year as a supplement to the Environmental Law Report News & Analysis, one of the most highly ranked and most frequently cited environmental law journals in the country. At its core, JEEL is a student-run publication. Its partnership with the Environmental Law Institute, however, allows the journal to reach beyond traditional journal audiences. JEEL enjoys broad readership for authors, including academics, law firms, and government agencies.
Each volume features law review articles (approximately 8,000 to 20,000 words), perspective pieces (2,000 to 8,000 words), and student notes (8,000 to 12,000 words). JEEL is particularly interested in articles that address international treaties or legislative initiatives in other countries, U.S. federal and state legislation, as well as case law developments that grapple with the following:
- energy generation and distribution, especially for renewable and distributed sources;
- facility siting, including transmission infrastructure;
- mechanisms for enhancing energy efficiency in all use sectors;
- public benefit funds, net metering requirements, renewable portfolio standards, and other forms of utility regulation;
- implementation of a smart grid;
- climate change and carbon sequestration;
- air and water pollution issues related to energy generation;
- water use and water conservation related to energy production;
- land use questions;
- assessment of the environmental impacts of energy production and energy-intensive activities; and
- resource extraction.
For additional information, please contact JEEL at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in submitting an article for consideration please click here.
Access JEEL’s Constitution here.